Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Passenger Etiquette


Its once again time for my bi-monthly rant on manners and etiquette. This morning I noticed on the subway multiple signs outlining rules for Passenger Etiquette. These signs are augmented with cartoon illustrations of these pearls of wisdom. For instance:




Additional suggestions include:
- Practice cell phone courtesy by setting ring tones to vibrate, using an inside voice
and avoiding two-way talk
- Use earphones or headphones for your listening pleasure; set on low
- Your safety and comfort are important. Honor requests from operators or other SEPTA
staff
- When standing, do not block doors
- No smoking on vehicles or at stations
- Drink only from containers with sturdy, resealable lids. No open containers or cans
- Cooked or prepared foods don’t mix with transit travel
- Take your meal home to eat
- Light, small snacks are OK. No trash please
- Keep SEPTA clean. Dispose of trash and recyclables properly

My favorite happens to be "use your inside voice" while on a cell phone.

So basically they're telling Philadelphians to stop acting like assholes... riight. Like that's gonna happen. Oh, and have I mentioned that the city government is in imminent danger of collapsing thanks to poor financial management, yet there seems to be money to put up cartoon signs, printed in color no less!... well, I've said enough, I'll let you draw your own conclusions....

No comments: