Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Keeping up appearances

I am just going to come out and say it. I feel frumpy and like I'm just getting by. I miss feeling cute and pulled together. I miss having somewhere to go, getting dolled up and that powerful "I am a confident, together, sexy woman!" feeling. These days between a 2 yr old, working full time outside the home and being a full time mom and wife, I feel like its all slipped away...and I can't quite figure out how to get it back...and I'm only so willing to sacrifice the precious little sleep I already get.

It doesn't help that my office is business professional, as in a suit and pantyhose kind of dress code ( i.e. we're not allowed to show toe and heel at the same time...so peep toe slingbacks are out). I don't mind dressing up, but I sure as shit hate the dry cleaning bill and cant afford to buy a ton of those kinds of clothes on the little salary they're paying me. Top it off with the fact that I'm never going to fit into the nice dress clothes I wore to work when I was 23. Hell, I'm not going to be 23 again either. So now I'm rocking ill fitting dress pants and hand-me down sweater sets from my mom.

Now, let's address my hair, shall we? It is long and I like it that way and Dr. F likes it that way. But you know what, its getting cold waiting for the train every morning and wet hair isnt exactly professional. I've rocked a bun almost every day since I started way back in June because I dont have time to dry it (hello 20 min!) and straighten/curl (30+ min) everyday between getting myself and the Little Man out the door.* I'd love to chop it off and can't help but think a short style might actually make me feel like my appearance is visually interesting...but then I loose the bun option... plus with short hair that isnt tamed on a daily basis i look like this (a little less curly, a lot more frizzy):


Basically, I'm over here having a pitty party for myself, which is ridiculous because there are people who have much worse things to worry about...like keeping a roof over their heads or not having enough food. I'm sorry and I'll try to pull it together. Anyone have any tips for keeping up a stylish (not trendy!) appearance?

*side note, I have a LARGE forehead and a hairdresser recently told me I should never have a style without bangs...yay self confidence!

3 comments:

Victoria said...

I feel you, especially about the hair. Headbands have become a major way of life for me. Sometimes with one really diligent blow-dry/straightening job, I can get by for about 3 days (even if I work out), it just needs a little touch up and possibly a head band on the 3rd day.

Can you take anything to the tailor? sometimes a little nip here or there on a pair of pants for $15 or $20 does wonders. And even if it's only one pair of pants--who cares if you wear them everyday.

My workplace has a business casual dress code--I see "clients" a good part of the years, so I need to look like "real" biz caus most of the time. It frustrates me when i see people taking it to the extreme though (pro sports jerseys and yoga pants? really? REALLY?). Unironed shirts really get to me too...

Ab said...

Um, I'm a low pony kind of girl. I'm also an "EIGHT HEAD" instead of "FOURHEAD" kind of girl. So I'm feelin' you on all counts. I always have to look decent and dressed to the nines on Sundays and Tuesdays when we have meetings galore but otherwise I'm pretty lucky and flexible.

Come to Richmond! Or we should meet in the middle! I love helping figure out things like hair...enter me as the family hair cutter (except my own, thank the lord). Maybe some layers? Or the 1/2 up, 1/2 down? I don't know. It sucks. That's all I have to say. As for clothes, I am a professional sale/consignment shopper. Let me teach you my ways, grasshopper:)

Mary Frances said...

I also HATE feeling frumpy (see: the last two months). I agree with McV on the tailor - if you have some pieces that are nice but just don't fit *quite* right, having them tailored to your body can make a world of difference without breaking your budget. Also, Ab is right - there are some GREAT consignment places in Richmond (there's also some pretty good ones around me, but they're kind of expensive - we can still check them out)...if we go down for her baby shower (btw, I totally think you and I should take a road trip to her baby shower), we'll definitely hit them up. As for hair, ugh. I feel your pain. I'm a natural frizz. For me, shorter hair (not super short - I always keep mine so that it falls below my collarbone) makes a world of difference - the washing/blow drying/straightening time is SO much more manageable and I can still put it in a bun/wear it with a headband if I haven't showered that morning. I took two inches off last week and even that has made a big difference. Also, your hair is gorgeous - from what I saw the other night, it is most definitely NOT on par with Jennifer Grey's circa Dirty Dancing :)