Sunday, October 19, 2008

My first ER visit

Well, celebrating the 36 week mark definitely did not go as planned, but it was certainly more exciting than planned! Around noon on Friday I noticed that my right leg was really starting to become heavy and it felt like someone had tied a rubber band around my knee. My calf started hurting and my right foot was more swollen than the left. I called my Dr. and the receptionist was beyond unhelpful and told me I couldnt be seen because they were all booked... I will absolutely be complaining tomorrow at my appointment. I panicked a bit because a blood clot is very serious and is pretty common in pregnancy and my symptoms were definitely pointing that way. Luckily I was on campus and headed straight over to the ER. They even have a special ER for labor and delivery! Turns out Aiden is probably just laying funny and blocking my lymphatic system causing more swelling on one side than the other.

I'll spare you all the details, but it was a loooong day after checking in around 1pm and not getting home until midnight. All they had to do was an ultrasound of my leg to verify there were no clots. Mr. F was def. my hero as he came right from his surgery rotation, still in his scrubs! and stuck it out with me the whole time. The poor guy was falling asleep in the waiting room. I also got quite an education from the other women in the waiting room, many of whom were there with their 4 or 5 pregnancies. I was told "My coochie is going to get THIS big" complete with hand gestures indicating the size of a football. And yes, that is a direct quote. I'll be getting the epidural, thankyouverymuch.

Needless to say we were exhausted and starving so we picked up a pizza, polished it off and passed out for a solid night of sleep. We were able to sleep in on Saturday and relished what is one of our last quiet weekends for probaly the next 25 years.

We're getting more and more excited by the day and wonder each day when we wake up if today is the day. The closer we get to my due date, the more the anticipation builds, and its SO FUN!

This past week there was even a full moon and two people checked to see if I went into labor as they both delivered on full moons. Needless to say I didnt have Aiden last week but the next full moon is Nov. 13 and I'm due Nov. 14... so we'll see!

PS. I heard Meredith and Emma read this blog so I'm giving them a big shout out!! I hope youre both doing well and keep in touch!!!

1 comment:

Magnolias & Juleps said...

so crazy!!! glad everything is okay!! xoxo, Eva